Use this form to report a faulty light maintained by the former Eden District Council.

Our response to a faulty light report

We will arrange for our contractor to assess the light. Please note that we will be removing sodium lights without replacements as they cease to function.

There is no statutory requirement for local authorities in the United Kingdom, to provide public lighting. District councils and many parish or town councils have the power (but not a duty) to provide lighting, as local lighting authorities. These powers being established under the Parish Councils Act 1957 and the Public Health Act 1961.

Footway and street light maintenance

The former Eden District Council maintain the footway lighting for villages in Eden. A few footway lights in Penrith, Appleby, Alston and Kirkby Stephen. Lighting in our car park and on our land.

Cumbria Highways maintain all roadway lighting and the footway lighting on the main roads in Penrith, Appleby, Alston and Kirkby Stephen. They also maintain the footway lighting on most new or recently built housing developments. These lights have a four digit number shown on the lighting column.

Report a faulty light to Cumbria Highways

Report a lighting fault on the Cumbria Highways website or telephone the Highways Hotline 0300 303 2992 during officer hours.