Before you start
Please read the Pavement Licensing Policy (Opens in a new window) (PDF: 341Kb / 16 pages) before beginning this form.
The Business and Planning Act 2020 introduced a new licence – a “pavement licence”. The operators of businesses selling food and drink may apply to their local authority for authorisation to put furniture such as tables and chairs on the highway adjacent to their premises to sell food and drink from and/or for their customers to use.
Pavement licences are of finite duration and no licence will extend beyond 30 September 2022.
Following successful submission, your application is the subject of a seven day public consultation starting the day after the submission. During this time the applicant must post a notice of the application on the premises on the same day that you submit the application.
Following the end of public consultation period, the council has a further seven days within which to issue a decision on an application. If no decision is issued within this 14 day period the application is automatically granted.
Your application will need to include:
- Details of your proposal including the area of the highway and furniture you intend to use
- A location plan showing the premises and adjacent highway
- A detailed plan showing the proposed site in relation to neighbouring properties
- Details of your management plan and Covid-19 Risk Assessment
- Evidence of public liability insurance