The government has introduced a second test and trace payment to support those on low incomes who cannot work because their child has been asked to self-isolate.

In order to be eligible for the payment you must:

  • • be the parent or guardian of a child or young person in the same household and need to take time off work to care for them while they self-isolate. This is limited to one parent or guardian per household for the child or young person’s self-isolation period
  • • be applying for a child or young person who is aged 15 or under (or 25 or under with an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHC)) and normally attends an education or childcare setting
  • • have been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace or by the child’s education or childcare setting because they have been identified as a close contact of someone who has tested positive for COVID 19
  • • be employed or self-employed;
  • • be unable to work from home and will lose income as a result;
  • • be currently receiving Universal Credit, Working Tax Credit, income-based Employment and Support allowance, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit and/or Pension Credit.

If you are not in receipt of one of the benefits listed but meet all the other conditions above you can ask to be considered for a discretionary payment. Funds for the discretionary payments are limited and in order to be considered you must:

  • • be liable to pay rent (under a formal tenancy agreement) and/or council tax;
  • • have been on a low income before having to self-isolate (Gross earnings of less than £500 per week)
  • • have savings of less than £3,000. Where the savings are in a joint account the amount will be split equally between the parties.

Applications must be made within 42 days of the start date that your child/young person had to self isolate. The scheme will run until 30 September 2021. Test and Trace Support Payments are subject to income tax.

Do not use this form

  • • to make a claim for a child who had to isolate before 8th March 2021
  • • to apply for a test and trace payment for yourself

Before you start

You will need to include the following information as part of your application:

  • • evidence that your child has been asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace or by the child’s education setting;
  • • details of the child and their education provider;
  • • your bank account details;
  • • proof of employment or proof of self-assessment returns and trading income if self-employed;
  • • if self-employed, evidence that your business cannot deliver services without social contact;
  • • details of the bank account you would like the payment to be made to.

How we use your data

If you wish to know why we collect your data and how we use it, then please see our Corporate Privacy Policy (opens in a new window).