Apply for a Test and Trace Support Payment

The Government has placed a new duty on individuals to self-isolate if someone tests positive or is identified as a contact by NHS Test and Trace. To support those on low incomes who cannot work during their self-isolation period, a Test and Trace Support Payment of a £500 lump sum payment has been introduced.

In order to be eligible for the Test and Trace Support Payment you must:

  •   have been told to stay at home and self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace, either because you have tested positive for coronavirus or have recently been in close contact with someone who has tested positive;
  •   be employed or self-employed;
  •   be unable to work from home and will lose income as a result;
  •   be currently receiving Universal Credit, Working Tax Credit, income-based Employment and Support Allowance, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit and/or Pension Credit.
  •   applications must be made within 28 days of the end of your isolation period.

If you are not in receipt of one of the benefits listed but meet all the other conditions above you can ask to be considered for a discretionary payment. Funds for the discretionary payments are limited and in order to be considered you must:

  •   be liable to pay rent (under a formal tenancy agreement) and/or council tax
  •    have been on a low income before having to self-isolate (Net earnings of less than £150 per week)
  •    have savings of less than £3,000. Where the savings are in a joint account the amount will be split equally between the parties.

Applications must be made within 28 days of the end of your isolation period. The scheme will run until 31 March 2021. Test and Trace Support Payments are subject to income tax.

Before you start

You will need to include the following as part of your application:

  •   evidence that you have been asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace
  •   your NHS Test and Trace Unique ID
  •   proof of employment or proof of self-assessment returns and trading income if self-employed
  •   if self-employed, evidence that your business cannot deliver services without social contact
  •   details of the bank account you would like the payment to be made to

How we use your data

If you wish to know why we collect your data and how we use it, then please see our privacy notice.